Youth Livelihood & Governance Project
“Supporting Youth Livelihood and Governance in Sierra Leone and Liberia” is a single project funded by the European Commission and Comic Relief through a UK based partner
Y Care International with the specific objective of improving the socio economic status of disadvantaged young people through vocational and technical skills training and participating in local decision making in post conflict communities.
This project is a four year project (Jan 2009 – Dec 2012) responding to the urgent need to providing sustainable livelihood opportunities for marginalized and war affected young people and as well as empowering young people for greater citizen participation in local decision making and making government structures more transparent.
The Project Target Population:
• Young unemployed people (aged 15 – 35), including particularly vulnerable groups such as PLHAs and young people with disabilities.
• Members of Community Based Organizations, particularly youth civil society organizations.
• Members of NGOs providing youth services.
• Local Authority Representatives
Project Target Locations:
The project is implemented at nine project sites in Sierra Leone and Liberia. In Sierra Leone: Makeni (Northern Province), Bo (Southern Province), Kenema (Eastern Province) and Freetown (Capital City /Western Area) and in Liberia: Monrovia (Capital City), Kakata (Margibi County), Gbarnga (Bong County), Ganta (Nimba County), Zorzor (Lofa County).
Core Project Activities:
Youth Livelihood Supports
• Vocational, Business Management and Life Skills Trainings.
• Post Vocational Skills Training Support (including starter kits) to help trainees to either establish their own micro-enterprises, or undertake work placements with employers.
Youth Governance Supports
• Awareness raising and civic education training to young people.
• Civic Education through Peer Education Processes.
• Advocacy, leadership and community mobilisation trainings for young people & youth civil society organizations.
• Monthly Radio broadcasts on Governance, Accountability and Youth Issues.
• Central and Local Government Engagements to understand and respond to citizen needs related to youth employment and vocational education.
• Young People led Peace Building and Anti-Violence Campaign activities.
Project Activities: L-R (Supported Tech. Skills Training, Civic Peer Education Process, Advocacy/Awareness Raising